Saturday, August 29, 2009

State Fair 09

August 22nd, 2009; Daddy's 29th Birthday! I remember going to the state fair as a family every year and was so excited to be back in Iowa for the summer so that we could take Tucker for his first year!

Our first stop: the petting zoo. Tucker was doing great and loving all the animals, except the camels! I think they were too tall!









































We got to see baby wolves, bobcats and a bear!


























Sitting in a fire truck.











He LOVED this train, there were 2 going around and around. The booth was actually for some church, but I never found out what the train had to do with anything. It did a good job of attracting the kids though!

















Driving the tractors in the varied industries building.













Coloring at the IPTV kids booth
















This was a booth for the Boone Scenic Valley Railroad. I went to a camp outside Boone and every year when my parents would come to pick us up we would get to ride the train. This year, we are taking Tucker to "A Day Out With Thomas" at this railroad. We're so excited for it!









Tucker's first corn dog! He was really enjoying it, although he ate most of the breading off his and mine and I ate 2 hot dogs!






































We tried out so many John Deere tractors! Look at that smile of anticipation!











































We worried that most of the animals would be gone since it was the 2nd to last day of the fair. But, there seemed to be just enough left! Tucker especially loved the cows. At one point he was very emphatically saying and signing "more, more, more" while Daddy and I tried to guess what he wanted more of. Milk, juice, bites, then he said "Ah wa see more cows!"







After this picture I asked Tucker what the pigs say, normally he says *snort*, this time he said *snort* shooo (snoring) since all the pigs we'd seen were sleeping!











Except this pig! He looked right up at us when we walked over to his pen.




























The big boar!



























This guy only got 2nd!















The big ram!












After waiting in line for half an hour we finally made it to the butter sculptures!

















The "World Famous Butter Cow"!! This IS the Iowa State Fair. I'm sure all you Coloradoans just don't get it, it's totally worth the wait to see!











Our one and only family picture from the fair!
























































Doyle got a root beer float for dessert, but I chose to go the more traditional fair route of Chocolate covered Cheesecake on a Stick! It was even more amazing than it sounds!















We started walking up the very large hill to the HyVee Fun Forest where they have more kids activities including a playground. Tucker wanted me to carry him up the hill, which I did. When we got to the top, he was asleep! We never made it back to the fun forest, definitely have to make sure we hit it up first next year!







Doyle had to get these pictures for Miah!




























The last thing we did on our way out was one of the best! It's called Hands On Farm. The kids pick up a "seed" and plant it in the garden.


















































Then they pick some vegetables and put them in their basket.
































They then got bags of corn and soybeans that they put in their baskets.

















The dropped the soybeans off at the bio-diesel factory and picked up a can of diesel fuel to fill up their tractors so they could drive them around.





































They dropped off the corn to feed the cow so they could milk her and get a carton of milk for their basket.














They then "sold" all their vegetables and milk at the market.



















Tucker with his profit!

















Fianlly, they got to but something from the general store with the money they had earned from all their hard work! Tucker picked out a box of animal crackers that he got to eat on the LONG walk to where we parked the van!










The rest of the pictures are
The Iowa State Fair from Tucker's view!





























































I think he wanted to document that it was technically his baby brother's first trip to the State Fair too!




































No comments: