Tuesday, August 4, 2009

21 weeks 3 days

Today we went to Iowa City to the University Hospital. They were just doing a more detailed ultrasound, to check mostly on the thyroid, but also the placenta previa. The placenta moved up so it's just low-lying now, not previa. And the thyroid looked good. I think I'll have to go back, just because they are "high risk" doctors to keep checking on the baby from here on out. It was all good news, but possible the worst appointment ever. The doctor was horrible! She argued with me about what test I must have had done in Colorado and why I did't get them done. Implied that I was lying about supposing to have the tests done. I think this upset me the most because I already feel bad that I didn't think to ask about my tyroid when I was pregnant with Tucker. Really, someone should have just scheduled the thyroid test and no one did, but I wish I would have thought to ask about it. That may be part of the reason he stopped growing toward the end and why he was only 5lbs 13 oz when he was born. She raised her voice, and argued with me and told me a hundred things I already knew. I cried for most of the visit and completely worried Doyle since he had to leave part way through the explanation because Tucker was really tired and throwing a fit. He thought something was really wrong when I came out crying! I made sure I would NOT be seeing that doc again. I'm feeling much better about the appointment now, trying to ignore the doctor and just be glad that the baby's thryoid is doing ok and that the placenta is taking care of itself. Plus, we got some REALLY cute pictures!!





2 comments:

Rob and Christine said...

Wow, Jessika, so sorry to hear that. She has no bedside manner, and really should know better. You are an amazing mom, and you did everything you knowingly could to have a healthy pregnancy with Tucker, so don't for a moment think him not growing at the very end was your fault. Anyway, he is perfect. He is such a delight, and absolutely thriving. You know who I had to see last week? The control freak. Remember? Oh, good times. Just like I remembered him :) So glad to hear the placenta has moved up and that you and baby are healthy... Hang in there, once he is in your arms, all of this will be just a (very obnoxious) memory.

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

wow, what a bummer of a doctor. i know "shake it off" is easier said than done, but try not to dwell on it. keep yourself healthy & focus on the beautiful boys you have!